#1 2006-06-05 15:12:02

I_HEART_ONEPlECE
Pirate Admirer

What does "yosha" and "yosh" mean?

It's used a lot in One Piece, but the subs never say what it means.

#2 2006-06-05 15:22:15

Bob64
Renowned Pirate

Re: What does "yosha" and "yosh" mean?

They can mean the below:

Yosha = Allright

Yosh = ok

#3 2006-06-05 15:28:38

I_HEART_ONEPlECE
Pirate Admirer

So they're basically the same thing.

#4 2006-06-05 16:41:45

okama no kama tsukai
Swashbuckler
Website

yes, but...

technically, 'yosh' and 'yosha' aren't the, well, proper way to spell the word, which should be 'yoshi' (yes, like the little green dino thingy). when 'yoshi' is pronounced, the 'i' tends to be covered up by the 'sh', and in the case of hearing 'yosha', that's just the person allowing the excess air out at the end... um. yes.
kinda like with 'desu' - almost no one wil pronounce the 'u' at the end. at least, not actively. when saying it, you should still make the 'u' mouth shape, even if you don't sound it... it's just better...
and, um... go look at the 'let's learn japanese' section next time, lest the mods get on your case.

Reader: Why does Sanji-san's eyebrow curl up at the end?

Oda: Hey!! You sit right there!! Now listen!! Everyone lives in circles!! The sun, the moon, and the earth all spin around!! And!! If the earth suddenly stopped spinning, it would be a disaster, tidal waves everywhere!! Now remember that Sanji's eyebrow channels that circular energy!! Reflect upon this! You may go!

#5 2006-06-05 18:01:35

Okami Kugatsu
Renowned Pirate
Website

Care to explain why mouthing out a silent letter is just better? Sounds ludicrous to me.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a342/outlawwolf/CoolyCooly-1.gif

#6 2006-06-05 18:31:43

gokado
Renowned Pirate

i still cannot believe someone will actually miss its meaning... i mean from the context is more the obvious... well, thats me.

yup yup

#7 2006-06-05 18:43:38

Northwind
Renowned Pirate

both of them are basically an exclamation, almost like a battle cry to rally the troops. but in OP, its Luffy or whoever getting excited about something and trying to get the others to feel the same way. hope that also helps

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/Wizardjjm/Sigs%20for%20Others/Northwind.jpg
sig and ava brought to you by DB
Global Hardcore Alliance check it out.

#8 2006-06-05 21:32:06

zakezuke
Pirate Apprentice

Okami Kugatsu wrote:

Care to explain why mouthing out a silent letter is just better? Sounds ludicrous to me.

I've only begun to study this, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.  In English we have a lazy E as in the case with "name".  At one point it would have been pronounced nahm-ma before the vowel shift, but it was eventually shifted to the accented A (as in ate) and the last e (ah) was dropped.  Try saying name-ah... notice your mouth.  Now try saying name-oo with rounded lips at the end.  Now tray to say it without without opening your mouth at the m (nay-mmmmmmmm).  Doesn't sound quite right does it?  It's more of a nay-mah where the ah at the end is whispered. 

The Japanese, it would seem, have a lazy u (OO as in tool) and a slightly less lazy i (EE as in Feet), though most notable is the lazy u as in desu (Episode one, "Lu-Fi Des(u)", where you would say des, not Dah-su.

#9 2006-06-05 22:15:03

jerm
Pirate Admirer

interesting

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h242/jerm_photo/dancebear.gif
dancing bears own ^^

#10 2006-06-06 04:36:00

okama no kama tsukai
Swashbuckler
Website

zakezuke wrote:

Okami Kugatsu wrote:

I've only begun to study this, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.  In English we have a lazy E as in the case with "name".  At one point it would have been pronounced nahm-ma before the vowel shift, but it was eventually shifted to the accented A (as in ate) and the last e (ah) was dropped.  Try saying name-ah... notice your mouth.  Now try saying name-oo with rounded lips at the end.  Now tray to say it without without opening your mouth at the m (nay-mmmmmmmm).  Doesn't sound quite right does it?  It's more of a nay-mah where the ah at the end is whispered. 

The Japanese, it would seem, have a lazy u (OO as in tool) and a slightly less lazy i (EE as in Feet), though most notable is the lazy u as in desu (Episode one, "Lu-Fi Des(u)", where you would say des, not Dah-su.

much gratitude for you explaining it in detail... i would've given up halfway...

but, yeah... you can't forget the letter is there (it's not french, god i HATE french - spelt one way, yet half the letters aren't pronounced, or in a completely different way, gack)

Reader: Why does Sanji-san's eyebrow curl up at the end?

Oda: Hey!! You sit right there!! Now listen!! Everyone lives in circles!! The sun, the moon, and the earth all spin around!! And!! If the earth suddenly stopped spinning, it would be a disaster, tidal waves everywhere!! Now remember that Sanji's eyebrow channels that circular energy!! Reflect upon this! You may go!

#11 2006-06-06 11:12:49

Okami Kugatsu
Renowned Pirate
Website

Still sounds ludicrous. And I took a year of Japanese in highschool and for half a year at college. All that mattered was that I get the sound and pronounciation of a word right, not if I mouthed out every silent letter that was in it. Whatever. I'll speak it my way. Regardless of how "better" it is.

#12 2006-06-06 11:17:47

YamiNoSenshi
Pirate Apprentice
Website

Well, in a class, all they're trying to do is get you to say/write the language close to what it should be. You're not going to get all the little nuances from a year and a half of classroom work in a language that is very, VERY different from ours.

I made a promise by the side of the road
That I would bury my goddamn halo
-Burning Brides

#13 2006-06-06 11:18:45

patrickthewhite1
Pirate Admirer

but the real question is:
what do san and sama mean?

#14 2006-06-06 11:23:20

Okami Kugatsu
Renowned Pirate
Website

YamiNoSenshi wrote:

Well, in a class, all they're trying to do is get you to say/write the language close to what it should be. You're not going to get all the little nuances from a year and a half of classroom work in a language that is very, VERY different from ours.

Once again, regardless of whats better, I'll just speak the language my way. I don't want to sound the same as every other japanese buisness man cause if you follow language lessons to the exact letter, your going to end up sounding like an uptight, pompous foreigner. The only people who speak japanese or any language that properly are the people on those audio tapes.

#15 2006-06-06 11:46:09

gokado
Renowned Pirate

patrickthewhite1 wrote:

nope, thats NOT the real question and it has been explain before: http://kaizoku-fansubs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2336

search is a powerful and useful tool

Last edited by gokado (2006-06-06 11:46:28)

yup yup

#16 2006-06-06 13:09:17

I_HEART_ONEPlECE
Pirate Admirer

patrickthewhite1 wrote:

San means Mr. Mrs. or Miss, sama mean something like "my lord". I think.
On the japanese version of Inuyasha, Sesshomaru is called Sesshomaru sama. In the dub he's called Milord Sesshomaru.

#17 2006-06-06 13:12:52

I_HEART_ONEPlECE
Pirate Admirer

northwind_zeus wrote:

both of them are basically an exclamation, almost like a battle cry to rally the troops. but in OP, its Luffy or whoever getting excited about something and trying to get the others to feel the same way. hope that also helps

Yeah, I figured it was something like that.

#18 2006-06-06 15:26:36

turklight
Swashbuckler

-san is an honorific where you address people you're not so familiar with, and -sama is for people who're much higher up than you in society. Or you're trying to suck up.

And as far as I know, people in audio tapes speak really frickin' slow so the people listening can understand. If you follow everything the vids say, you'll come off really formal and that's impolite in situations where you wanna hang out with Japanese friends and you're like, desu, masu, mashou... it means you're distancing yourself and giving them a clue you're pissed about something.

If you listen to OP, you can prob'ly make out the words but it's harder cos the characters like to slur things together and make puns so the cool little things don't get to the English peeps...

#19 2006-06-06 21:02:41

SushiChef
Swashbuckler
Website

this doesnt apply to the topic but your sn looks really familiar *looking at my url addy* roll (knowing you're a newb n all)

OP Mp3s is ONLINE.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v375/sushipop/sea1024.jpg

#20 2006-06-06 21:23:03

SilentEcho
Renowned Pirate

hey, uh... I_HEART_ONEPlECE, I_heart_when you dont double post... and so do the mods. So, please dont double post, use edit.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i122/SilentThirteen/silentechosig.jpg

#21 2006-06-07 01:58:55

lepps4563
Pirate Apprentice
Website

In conclusion, those words are almost the same meanings. but, the word "yosya!"(or "yosyaaa!!") has some strong nuance, than the word"yosh!"(correctly,"Yoshi!"). so, In case of a female, it would sound like bitch. such as Vivi and Robin, they have never exclaimed "yosya!" And, Nami always shouts, "Yosyaa!!!". so now, we got a one more evidence that Vivi and Robin are grace, and Nami's bitch. tongue

and it's almost the same as the relation between "Sugoi"("great" or "awesome") and "Sugee"("damn great!" or something).

http://pds.exblog.jp/pds/1/200605/23/27/jojo4s2.jpg

Board footer